Ok, let me start off by saying this took me about a month to make. So, yeah, if you’re a haphazard knitter, maybe this isn’t the best pattern for you. If you’re a dedicated and persistant knitter, then this pattern is the one for you, my friend!
Not only is the stitch absolutely gorgeous, but the overall afghan, when all done and dusted, looks nothing short of fantastic. Trust me, you won’t regret making this one!
Oh, also, check out my Etsy Shop CodyLCrafts at: https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/CodyLCrafts?ref=l2-shop-header-avatar where I have this exact afghan up for sale for those of you who… you know… don’t have the patience to knit an entire blanket.
– 4.5 mm knitting needles.
– Wool needle (for sewing in ends)
– A pair of scissors
– 10x 100g balls of 8ply 4 Seasons of pure wool entwine.
– 2 balls of grey (A)
– 2 balls dark blue (B)
– 2 balls light/aqua blue (C)
– 2 balls light purple (D)
– 2 balls dark purple (E)
– Cast on 219 stitches with colour a (grey)
– ROW 1 – Pearl to the end of the row.
– **ROW 2 – Knit 4 stitches, *Pearl 3 stitches, Knit 5 stitches* repeat from * to * until last 7 stitches, pearl 3 stitches and knit 4.
– ROW 3 – Pearl 4 stitches, *Knit 3 stitches, Pearl 5 stitches* repeat from * to * until last 7 stitches, knit 3 stitches and pearl 4.
– ROW 4 – Repeat row 2 until end.
– ROW 5 – Knit all stitches to the end. **
– ROW 6 ONWARDS – repeat from ** to ** to reach the desired length. When first ball of A has almost run out, complete the row you are currently doing, leaving a tail for sewing in, and begin the next row with the new ball of A, also leaving a tail of this ball for sewing in. Attach new colours in this same way, so that blocks of colour are formed.
– LAST ROW – After completing a ROW 4 pattern stitch to end, begin ROW 5 and cast off on this row.
– TO FINISH – Sew in tails with wool needle and trim so they are no longer visible. Congratulations! You have now finished your basket-weave knitted afghan! I’d love to see your final creations, so send them through on the ‘contact me’ page!